Thursday, October 13, 2005

Is it Time to Think

Is is time to think about


Local Agriculture?
  • It takes an average 10 calories of oil to produce 1 calorie of food.

  • The price of oil has gone from doubled in the last five years.

  • There is no end in sight to rising fuel prices; therefore rising food prices seem to be in our future.

  • Local farmers need your patronage.

  • Surpluses of locally purchased food can be frozen, dehydrated, canned, pickled, and even fermented into beer and wine.

  • Your property may also be able to support a large garden.

My name is Rob and I am an office worker, a stable-boy at a horse farm, and a hobby farmer. I am located in Windham County, Connecticut. I came to understand that local agriculture isn’t about being an isolated person growing a garden; it is about working with the community of people engaged in small farming to support them, eat healthier, save resources, and save money. Supporting local agriculture is a good deal.

I have done the research and can point you to resources for obtaining raw, fresh milk, making your own cheese, subscribing to a community supported farm in your area, and getting locally raised, grass fed meat.

I can also help you start a garden on your property. I get a truckload of horse manure 5 days a week, which I can deliver to you. We can mix 1/3 horse manure, 2/3 leaves, and some lime is an economical way to get your own garden started. I can also help you with siting and organizing your garden, advising what to grow based on your needs, as well as organic, inexpensive, and non-violent control of pests and critters.

Click my profile for e-mail address.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I sure do think this blogger is onto something. Gardening is fun but it may become USEFUL and increasingly so. Thanks for the ideas!

Anty Ep